Wednesday 2 March 2011

My Amazing Bridesmaids


Choosing my bridesmaids was probably the easiest part of the whole wedding process for me.

My chief bridesmaid was always going to be Vikki.  She was the first person I met at University when matriculating and it turned out we were both on the same course.  I have never had a friend like Vikki, she is simply the most amazing person I know.  When I thought I had failed my exams in 2nd year, I got very upset at 1am and called Vikki just to talk - she turned up 5 minutes later with her boyfriend (now her husband and also a great friend) to cheer me up and talk about it while he waited (and ate gherkins) in the other room!  I have never forgotten this and it just shows how kind and selfless she is and I know she will always be there if I need her, even at 1am!

Me and Vikki

I am delighted to be able to say that Vikki is now pregnant (she will be 32 weeks at the time of the wedding) and although I think most brides would might this a bit stressful, I could not be more happy for Vikki and Chris!  It is the best news I have heard this year and they will make amazing parents!  And I had already chosen empire line dresses anyway ;)

My other two bridesmaids are Claire and Sarah.  Despite having only known them since we moved to Glasgow just over two years ago, I have grown very close to them both and they are the ones who have put up with all my excitement and worries since moving in with Nik.

Claire lives downstairs on the ground level of our block of three flats so she is the unlucky one who hears all my woes as she's such a good agony aunt with cups of tea on my way home from work!  When I first moved in (Nik moved in 3 months after me due to work), I remember calling Nik after meeting Colin and Claire and their 1 year old daughter Grace in the garden.   I was so excited we had such lovely neighbours and I couldn't wait for him to meet them.  Claire was so welcoming when I moved in on my own and invited me out with her and her friends when I didn't know anyone in Glasgow.  I could not hope for a better friend or neighbour - she even cooked our roast chicken in her oven when ours broke down one Sunday evening!  Claire is thankfully now finished having babies so is the easiest to fit for her dress :)

Claire and Colin at our Halloween Party, 2009
Randomly, Sarah is the person who used to live in our flat!  Even more randomly, she went to primary school with Vikki!  Imagine my surprise while chatting over a cup of tea when I came to measure up the flat and I discovered the owner knew my best friend!  Sarah and her husband John moved 10 minutes down the road to a larger house so still live close and we got to know each other when Claire invited me on their girl's night out (them being friends/neighbours before I moved in).  We soon discovered how similar we are (although I already had suspicions when we didn't even want to redecorate the flat!) when I had a spare free ticket to the Scottish Home Show and as we had both just moved house Sarah came with me - we liked everything the same!  We also both love photography although Sarah does portraiture and I do nature.  Her website is amazing... Sarah Connolly Photography.  Sarah is also currently pregnant but with her second child and will have had her baby before the wedding (and more importantly before the hen night!) so is a little less awkward to fit for her dress - luckily we are able to leave it until fairly last minute for final measurements!

Me and Sarah - little bit tipsy after afternoon cocktails!
Both of them mean a great deal to me and if I am worrying about my relationship, work or anything else, they are both there with a cup of tea or a glass of wine and some reassuring words (like when I had just picked up our expensive new thick curtains for our draughty bedroom window and managed to drop them in the muddy road!!! and Claire was there when I was in tears over my stupidity with a glass of wine to reassure me that I am not the only one who gets hysterical over something so silly that is easily fixed by a dry cleaner!  We all have these moments from time to time!)  God knows how they put up with me!

I asked Claire and Sarah to be my bridesmaids when we went to One Devonshire Gardens (on a special 5pm meal deal!) to celebrate me being engaged at last :) with a lovely dinner and cocktails - although Claire had to be good as she was still breastfeeding her new baby, Fraser.

Out to celebrate the Sparkler in Hotel Du Vin!

I had planned to wait until I saw Vikki (she now lives in Aberdeen) until I asked her but just couldn't wait and asked her on the phone in the end!  I mentioned Grace above, who is now almost 4 and have asked her to be flower girl.  She is delightful and so gorgeous, I can't wait to see her in her cute outfit!  I love it when I visit Claire and Grace wants to show me all her toys and especially when she wants a bedtime hug from me too if I'm there when she's put to bed!

More on the BM's dresses next time! :)

Post Wedding Update:

All my girls were an amazing support and stunning bridesmaids and Grace was the cutest ever!!

Screen grab from our wonderful wedding highlights film by Cherry Tree Films




Screen grab from our wonderful wedding highlights film by Cherry Tree Films

Screen grab from our wonderful wedding highlights film by Cherry Tree Films

Screen grab from our wonderful wedding highlights film by Cherry Tree Films

Screen grab from our wonderful wedding highlights film by Cherry Tree Films

Photo by Uncle Alan



Screen grab from our wonderful wedding highlights film by Cherry Tree Films

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100