Tuesday 13 March 2012

My random music

I've spent a lot of time talking about books on here but when making up a new playlist for swimming I thought I should share some of my music recommendations too!  There are a few artists in my collection that I think are generally unknown, some random finds.  Some were discovered when travelling, some via Amazon recommendations, some via iTunes or friends.

(Edit:  I love my waterproof MP3  and bought it years ago when they only came in pink or green.  They now also come in black,  blue and purple and are a bit cheaper too!  I find 1GB more than enough for its purpose and love that I don't have to listen to whichever awful local radio station is on in the pool!)



One of my random finds is Brooke Fraser.  I discovered her while travelling in New Zealand, I randomly heard one of her songs in a shop in Auckland and loved it so asked who it was and went in search of the album.  It was one of my best souvenirs of that trip as I listened to it so much while in New Zealand and Tonga, it instantly reminds me of that amazing time!



Brooke Fraser - What to Do With Daylight (It's a bit expensive as it's an import)

I absolutely LOVE this whole album, I know it by heart and could listen to it over and over again.  Even after almost 8 years!!  Usually I do this with a new album but end up playing it to death where I just can't bear it any more but it has never happened with this one.  It won't be everyone's cup of tea - Nik says I have a bit of a tendency for FVAs (Female Vocal Artists), he likes to take the mickey out of me for it!!  I do like a few good bands as well but it's true I do like a lot of female singers.  I particularly love Brooke's voice and the tunes I just want to dance around my room to, singing screeching along at the top of my voice!

When choosing the music for our wedding DVD, we had a few obvious songs, ones that meant a lot to us or had the perfect lyrics that we thought of instantly but we were struggling to come up with 15 (so they can choose the ones that fit in best with the edit).  We had a YouTube session trying to remember other songs we both like that might be suitable.  It's funny how many of the ones you think might be good for this kind of thing actually aren't when you really listen to the words!  I tried searching for Brooke Fraser, remembering how much I love this album but none of them really fitted.  I did find a newer song of hers though which I thought would be great and Nik liked it too!  Brooke Fraser - Something in the Water.  It ended up being the one they chose for our highlights video which you can see over on Any Other Woman today along with more info about our humanist ceremony and the song we chose for our first dance!!  I thought it was perfect for the getting ready scenes!



Lyrics:

Do do do do do do do do do do

I wear a demeanor made of bright pretty things
What she wears, what she wears, what she wears
Birds singing on my shoulder in harmony it seems
How they sing, how they sing, how they sing

Give me nights of solitude, red wine just a glass or two, reclined in a hammock on a balmy evening
I'll pretend that it's no thing that's skipping my heart when I think
are you thinking bout' me babe? I'm crazy over you

Aaah Aaah Aaah
there's something in the water, something in the water
Aaah Aaah Aaah
There's something in the water, that makes me love you like –

I've got halo's made of summer, rhythms made of spring
What she wears, what she wears, what she wears
I got crowns of words a woven each one a song to sing
Oh I sing, oh I sing, oh I sing

Give me long days in the sun, preludes to the nights to come previews of the mornings laying in all lazy give me something fun to do like a life of loving you
Kiss me quick now baby I'm still crazy over you

Aaah Aaah Aaah
there's something in the water, something in the water
Aaah Aaah Aaah
there's something in the water that makes me love you like I do

Oooh oooh oooh Oooh(x3)

Give me nights of solitude, red wine just a glass or two, give me something fun to dooooo

Aaah Aaah Aaah
there's something in the water, something in the water
Aaah Aaah Aaah
there's something in the water that makes me love you like I do

Aaah Aaah Aaah
there's something in the water, something in the water
Aaah Aaah Aaah
there's something in the water that makes me love you like I –

Do do do do do do do


I've heard that she is trying to get known over here now and looking at the reviews on Amazon for her newest album, Flags, which has been released here (and features the above track), it seems to be going well!

Let me know what you think of her!  Has anyone already heard of her??  I've just ordered the other 2 albums, Flags and Albertine!



3 comments:

amy said...

I was just wondering what the song was on your video then I click over here and there it is!

Bex said...

Hehee ;)

Bex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100