Monday 7 January 2013

New year's eve fun!

On New Year's Eve we hosted a dinner party for good friends.  The lovely Gemma and Roz and their hubbies were our fabulous guests!  It was SO much fun and we had a lovely meal (if I do say so myself) followed by a deeeeelicious desert made by Roz.

We started the evening with some mulled wine and a spicy parsnip amuse bouche served in espresso cups...




Followed by Prosecco served with Hibiscus flowers and syrup...


Dinner was then served in the kitchen with a twist on my festive table setting.  I added 5 vases of Lisianthus and Alstromerias (purple in honour of Roz).



Nik had the bright idea of adding chopped strawberries and lime
to the jug of sparkling water.

Dinner started off with the crab and shrimp tian we first made back in September (but with a few tweaks so it worked even better this time!  i.e. It didn't ooze everywhere this time AND tasted better! :) )



We opened the second magnum of champagne Nik's parent's gave us back in May from his brother's spectacular wedding (we had the first one on Christmas day and nearly opened both but decided to save one for New Year - I still need to write about Christmas day, oops!)  We toasted to a Happy New Year for all our family and friends, especially the ones you can find on twitter these days seeing as that's how we first met and became good friends!  ;)





The main course was Roman lamb casserole served with broccoli, cauliflower and my (apparently cooked to perfection) sprouts which I steam then sauté with sesame seeds and garlic in olive oil.





Gemma had lots of fun with her new camera...


Roz had fun with mine, taking pictures of wine...  :)


Then we got to sample the amazing Black Forest Gateau Roz made, complete with Kirsch, chocolate ganache and cream!...




I only just remembered the sparkler!



It was AMAZING!!




I then made hot buttered rum and cider (an attempt at Butterbeer for Gems!) and Gemma and R had to take it in travel cups to get back to his Mum's in time for the bells!


The rest of us then settled down in the living room with my home-made gingerbread biscuits (made with part of my my #ODSS gift from Mahj of a green dragonfly cutter!) good old Jackie Bird on the telly so we wouldn't miss the bells!


My gorgeous new bauble from Roz!



The next morning poor Nik had to go to work at 8.30 but Roz, B and I all had a nice lie-in and a yummy two course breakfast to start the year in style.  I made smoked salmon bagels with chive Philly, followed by scotch pancakes with my favourite fig recipe & mascarpone as a topping.




We walked that off while it was still sunny(!!!) with a stroll along to Maxwell park and Pollokshields Burgh Hall (our wedding venue).


I wore my new Leather jacket (Christmas pressie from Nik), pink scarf (pressie from Mum), grey GAP jumper (bought in the sale in London) and my gorgeously soft grey cashmere Swarovski fingerless gloves (bought in M&S sale).


The most random assortment of items in a trolley
in a garden on our street!!
(Lifebuoy, hoover, brick and traffic cone.)
Someone had a good night!

The rest of the day was spent chilling after a nice long bubble bath with my kindle (reading The Great Gatsby), then watching all the films on telly!  Such a great start to the year!  :)





1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a lovely way to see in the New Year - your table setting looks so pretty! We watched Hogmanay live as well this year and M was feeling homesick for Scotland.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100